Nightmare

I had a dream. A dream so real that I'm still in a cold sweat.

The train is in a forest and I hear crying and yelping from outside. I jump from the car to discover Queenie being attacked by a badger. I try to save her, but I slip in the mud and fall. Queenie breaks free as I pull myself up. Unbelievably, she has no injuries. We run for the car, but a giant alligator is blocking the way. We run towards another, but the alligator turns, grinning at us as he blocks the way. The badger is behind us and continues to multiply as a dozen alligators stand before us.

I can't help thinking of Marlena. I couldn't save her; she saved herself. She is fine.
And August. The badger that won't let go of the poor, sweet dog.
And Uncle Al. The smirking alligator blocking us from our escape.

No comments: