Death

"This morning, I had parents. This morning, they ate breakfast."

My parents are dead. Gone. Forever.

All I could think of this morning, sitting next to Catherine Hale, was that I am still a virgin. The oldest one on the face of the earth. Then, demise entered the room in the form of Dean Wilkins.

They died in an automobile accident. They died. Instantly. I had to make the identification. Their bodies were surrounded with death!! He was covering them!! I vomited until I had nothing left. Then I ran home.

The ladies from the church came over to give their condolences. They were dressed in veiled hats and smelled like jasmine, lavender and rose. They were like chickens, hovering over their food.
"Death is a formal affair. They pat and they fuss, and above all, they cluck."

No comments: